- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- A dashes of Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1/2 heaping Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Lime wedges and cilantro for garnish
1 Cook rice according to package instructions. White rice usually takes 15 minutes to cook once the water is simmering, and 10 minutes to sit.
2 Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Sauté onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes, until just beginning to soften, then add garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the black beans, vinegar and Tabasco or cayenne.
Bring to a boil(?), reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
3 Stir in rice and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Original recipe here: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_black_beans_and_rice/